Gloucester New Jersey History

Gloucester County, New York State, was incorporated by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798. Race has long since taken a back seat to the history of our state and even to the history of its people.

The county's borders stretched from the Delaware River to the Atlantic Ocean until it was divided into four smaller communities in 1683: Gloucester, Essex, Somerset and Somerset County. On June 1, 1695, Gloucester became the first congregation in New Jersey and on June 2, 1798 the second. Gloucestershire Township, from which it got its name, was further divided into the four small townships and then into its present form.

At that time, Gloucester County stretched from the river to the ocean and included what is now Camden, Camden and Gloucestershire counties, as well as Atlantic counties. In 1837 Atlantic County took over a large part of it and the first, second and tenth parts became Burlington County, divided into tenths; the third, fourth and tenth parts became Glou Worcester County; and in 1844 it was separated from Camden County and formed part of Camden County. This act included Egg Harbor and its surroundings as an act of "Gloucester County" and circumvented a number of laws to define the boundaries of the district more clearly.

The boundaries of Nova Caesarea in New Jersey were established in the deed of the Duke of York and are now the boundaries of Gloucester County, Camden County and Atlantic County.

Gloucester County, which originally included Camden and Atlantic counties, is bounded by the Delaware River and the Cape May River to the northeast and the Mullica River to the north. The county borders Camden County to the east and Atlantic County to the west with Gloucester, Camden, Atlantic, Middlesex, Somerset and Somerset counties to the north.

The boundaries of Gloucester County stretched from the Delaware River to the Atlantic Ocean until 1683, when the county was divided into Egg Harbor Township and Gloucestershire Township, which took their name from their location at the mouth of the Cape May River. On June 1, 1695, the township was incorporated as the first community of New Jersey and in 1884 became part of a newly formed county of Camden. The border of this county stretched beyond the Wilmington River and into the Atlantic in 1681, but did not extend until 1883, when it was divided into Camden County and Atlantic County, as well as the present-day counties of Middlesex, Somerset and Somerset.

The southwest part was crossed by the Williamstown Bridge, which connected Camden and Blackwood and connected Camden with Blackwoods. In the same year, the first of the New Jersey Turnpikes (Camden - White Horse) started to run through Haddonfield from Camden. It was eventually improved with the rotisserie, crossed the northwest part of the community and led to the founding of Gloucestershire, Gloucester County, Camden County and Atlantic County in 1884.

Another interesting point is that if you drive through Westville, Princeton Avenue after passing Camden and Woodbury Turnpike, you will reach Camden - Woodburg TurnPike and after you take the Colonial Manor you will reach Candor Hall and Ladd Castle, which is considered the oldest brick house in Gloucester County.

A soldier of the American Revolutionary War, Captain William West, the son of Charles West, who donated 40 logs for the use of his son George West, is buried here. The underwater fortifications in the river canals between New Jersey and Pennsylvania were used to hinder British navigation on the Delaware River and prevent the British from attacking Philadelphia.

On October 20, 1807, George and his wife still retained the right to hand over the parcel to their daughters Susanna, Theodosia and Abigail. In a later act, the trustees transferred 200 acres to a trustee with a sawmill for $400.

Marple paid Hodgson's loyalty by being arrested in June the following year. He was forced to answer questions about the murders of his wife Susanna and their daughter Theodosia, as well as other crimes.

It seems George Marple has now moved his surgeries to Gloucester County, as his bail conditions have called him "Gloucester" in a lawsuit for infidelity against him and Rebecca Scattergood. Marlep worsened his financial situation by signing a deal with Joseph Joseph, the son-in-law of Isaac Scatteredgood, a local businessman and friend of Hodgson.

It is not certain whether George Marple was listed II (1778 - 1780) in Waterford Township in Gloucester County, but the deed suggests that he was.

More About Gloucester

More About Gloucester